Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Nobody Told Me There Would Be Days (or weeks!) Like These...

There are days when I am certain that I would get along better with my kids if they were away from me for 8-10 hours like most other children their age. The biggest challenge, outside of the financial strain of living on one income, has been disrespect and disobedience. My husband and I are nice and respectful to each other, we say please and thank you and do not yell or scream at each other. I am rendered speechless at how naughty our kids behave. They just ignore me. I sometimes think it might be my perspective, but that is all I have. I certainly do not expect perfection, but I do expect respect. We have tried all kinds of consequences (time outs, loss of privileges, time out of toys, extra chores). Why don't they just do what we say?
I was thinking today that this might be why parents over schedule their kids and give them free reign to video games. Less interaction time must lead to fewer naughty interactions.
I have worked 7 of the last 14 days, even when I am gone for just a few hours, our lives are disrupted. I shudder to think how my kids would behave at home if they were in boring, monotonous traditional school all day.
I have no solution outside of prayer.
O Saint Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires O Saint Joseph, assist me by your powerful intercession and obtain for me from your Divine Son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, Our Lord; so that having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers. O Saint Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me, and ask Him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. Amen

No comments: